Monday, September 13, 2010

9_15 WOW & updates

I have the volleyball schedule & player names
I also have the soccer schedule

Update on underclass photos

Update on September 23


WOW Rewrites

Use the checklists below and or refer to the Persuasion Map links


Persuasive Writing

Checklist



Student Name:_________________________ Academy:____________



I clearly state my position or argument in the introduction.


I begin with a lead/introduction that grabs the reader’s interest.


I give 3 reasons to support my position.


In each body paragraph, I support my position or argument with some of these:


Present interesting facts/statements, relevant information,

facts, expert opinions, statistics, quotes, examples and/or statistics

Tell a story related to my position or argument

Alarm the reader by presenting “what ifs” or questions


I tell the readers everything they need to know to convince them of my position.


I tell things in a logical order that makes sense—I place the most convincing evidence where it best supports my position.


I use words that persuade or convince the reader to think or act a certain way.


I end with a strong conclusion that is interesting, convincing, and suggests action.


I sound knowledgeable and authoritative.





Persuasive Writing

Checklist


Student Name: ______________________________________ Academy:____________


Introduction:

____ I followed the writing prompt directions for writing the persuasive essay.

____ I begin with a lead/introduction that grabs the reader’s interest such as

· Present interesting facts/statement

· Tell a story related to my position or argument


____ I clearly state my position (pro or con) with a thesis statement in the introduction.

____ I transition smoothly and effectively to the reasons.


Body Paragraphs (3):

____ I begin each body paragraph with a transition word and a topic sentence that states a reason that supports my position.

____ I support my reasons with some of these: facts, expert opinions, statistics, quotes, and examples in each body paragraph.

____ I connect each of my reasons with smooth and effective transitions.

____ I state, support and defend my position in the body of the writing.

____ I place the most convincing evidence where it best supports my argument.


Conclusion:

____ I end with a strong conclusion that restates the thesis and my arguments.

____ I appeal to the reader to agree with my stand and I suggest action.





To receive a "4", the paper must have:


1. A clear position statement (1-sentence) in the introduction


2. Three different reasons (each reason written as the topic sentence of each body paragraph (3), supporting examples ( at least 3) for each reason


3. A conclusion paragraph that calls for action.


If a student’s paper does not contain the requirements mentioned above, he/she should not receive a “4”.


To receive a “5”, the student should have all attributes of a “4” paper; in addition, to syntactical variety denoted by well written sentences that vary in structure.


Volume or length of paper does not constitute a score of a “4” or a “5” without the requirements stated above.



No comments:

Post a Comment